Don't you miss the days when the web really was the world's greatest decentralized network? Before everything got locked down into a handful of walled gardens? So do we.
Enter ActivityPub! ActivityPub is a decentralized social networking protocol based on the ActivityStreams 2.0 data format. ActivityPub is an official W3C recommended standard published by the W3C Social Web Working Group. It provides a client to server API for creating, updating and deleting content, as well as a federated server to server API for delivering notifications and subscribing to content.
Sounds exciting? Dive in!
Or, are you a user looking for ActivityPub software to use? Check out this guide for ActivityPub users (community edited)!
We're so stoked to have you implementing ActivityPub! To make sure ActivityPub implementations work together, we have:
- Guide for new ActivityPub implementers -- Community edited and unofficial, but useful!
- A test suite: -- Make sure your application works right according to the ActivityPub standard.
- Implementation reports: -- See the implementation coverage of applications which implemented ActivityPub during the standardization process.
Looking to discuss implementing ActivityPub? You can join the
#social IRC channel on
irc.w3.org! See also SocialHub, a community-run forum to discuss ActivityPub developments and ideas, and the Social CG, a W3C Community Group to continue the work of advancing the federated social web... including ActivityPub!
- Some (long overdue) site updates
Mon 04 January 2021
- Let us meet on SocialHub!
Thu 26 December 2019
- ActivityPub reaches W3C Recommendation status! Everybody party!
Tue 20 March 2018
- ActivityPub reaches Proposed Recommendation status!
Fri 08 December 2017
- Test suite up, implementation reports page up... let's get more reports in!
Mon 06 November 2017
- Mastodon launches their ActivityPub support, and a new CR!
Sun 10 September 2017
- New tutorial, new logo!
Tue 09 May 2017
- Help submit implementation reports!
Sun 09 April 2017
- ActivityPub reaches Candidate Recommendation status!
Thu 17 November 2016
- activitypub.rocks launches!
Mon 14 November 2016